List of polyglots
A polyglot is a person who uses multiple languages. A polyglot may also be called a multilingual
person; the label "multilingual" is used for communities as well as individual speakers.
Richard Hudson, professor emeritus of linguistics at University College London, coined the term
"hyperpolyglot" for a person who can speak six or more languages fluently.
This list consists of people who have been noted in news media, historical texts, or academic work
as speaking six or more languages fluently.
Notable living polyglots
• Swami Rambhadracharya, a Hindu religious leader, educationist, Sanskrit scholar, polyglot, poet,
author, textual commentator, philosopher, composer, singer, playwright, and Katha artist based in
Chitrakoot, India, can speak twenty-two languages, including Sanskrit, Hindi, English, French,
Bhojpuri, Maithili, Oriya, Gujarati, Punjabi, Marathi, Magadhi, Awadhi, and Braj.
Rambhadracharya has been blind since the age of two months; received no formal education until
the age of seventeen years; has never used braille, or any other aid to learn or compose his works;
and has authored more than 100 books.
• George Fernandes, an Indian politician who is well-versed in ten languages: Konkani, English,
Hindi, Tulu, Kannada, Marathi, Tamil, Urdu, Malayalam and Latin. As of April 2013, Fernandes
is suffering Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases.
• Bulcsú László, a Croatian linguist, writer, translator, information scientist and accentologist, speaks
more than 40 languages, including Akkadian, Hittite, Sumerian, Sanskrit... among English, French,
• Alex Rawlings, a 20-year-old undergraduate student at Oxford University, was named Britain's
"most multilingual student" in 2012 after being tested for fluency by native speakers in 11
languages: English, Greek, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Hebrew, Catalan, Spanish and
• Ioannis Ikonomou (1964), Greek translator at the European Commission. He can speak 32
• Benny Lewis, an Irish polyglot who, as of September 2013, speaks 12 languages following ten
years of traveling the world. Lewis has presented two TEDx talks and maintains a language learning
• Richard Simcott is a British polyglot. He has demonstrated his talent in a video showcasing his
ability with 16 languages, including French, English, and Welsh.