Открытый урок "Is the System of Social Welfare Fair?" 11 класс
Lesson Plan Template
Date 30. 10. 2013
Lesson Title “WHO BENEFITS FROM BENEFITS?”
Instructor Name IBRAGIMOVA MALIKA
Subject Area / Course Title EFL / “IS THE SYSTEM OF SOCIAL WELFARE FAIR? ”
Instructor Country Russia
Time: 90 minutes Grade 11
• To acquaint the students with the Social sphere of the public life of Great Britain, Russia and USA, with some categories of people who are entitled
to the benefits.
• To develop the students’ critical attitude towards the cultural facts of the countries of the studied language.
• To form lexical and grammatical speaking skills on the given topic.
Accessories / Teaching Aids Required:
Laptop, PPT “ The system of Social Welfare”, flipchart sheets, markers, grammar tables with the prepositions.
Articles from newspapers, magazines such as “ The Economist”, “Newsweek”.
The book ”The secret diary of Adrian Mole, aged 13 3/4” by Sue Townsend.
A short story “Getting used to it” by Douglas Dunn.
The textbook for the grade 11.
• Train the lexical units on the given topic;
• Work with the text “What benefits do people receive?”;
• Grammar in focus: train the Subordinate clauses with the prepositions -in spite of/despite, while/whereas, though/although, because of;
• Listen to the dialog;
• Discuss the topic;
• Power Point Presentation (it was the homework, done by the students).
1. Train the lexical units:
The game “Coosh ball”. The teacher throws the ball and says the word in the students’ native language, the students should give its English equivalent and
throw the ball back. There are 66 active lexical units on this topic, the students worked with them at the previous lessons: available, benefit, allowance,
insurance, to be entitled to, to claim, contribution, retirement, mobility allowance, income, employer, fee, provision, Medicare,
Medicaid, BUPA, GDP, NHS, GPs; the+adjectives: the widowed, the unemployed, the elderly, the young and others. This activity helps the
teacher to involve every student into learning process and to warm up them for the next activities.
2. Work with the text “What benefits do people receive?”.
The students read this text in silence for 2 minutes, then the class is divided into 2 groups: the 1
group should create the spidergram about the benefits in
welfare state, the 2
– should discuss what categories of people are entitled to these benefits.
The presenters from both groups should tell the class what benefits usually people receive in a welfare state and who is entitled to these benefits.
3. Grammar in focus: Subordinate classes with the prepositions in spite of/despite, while/whereas, though/although, because of;
a) There is a grammar table on the board: the teacher explains how to build up the complex sentences. The students make up the complex
sentences themselves from their textbooks:
Despite the fact that GPs are considered to be overworked,
Although health care in case of emergency worked well,
Though public health care is not bad,
Because of the nurses improper behaviour,
While Dr. Taylor’ diagnosis was acne vulgaris,
In spite of the proper diagnosis
Because of the financial problems in the National Health Service
Adrian’s granny was sure it was Lassa fever.
people have to wait to be operated on for many years.
private health treatment (BUPA, for example) is better.
neither Adrian nor his granny were satisfied with it.
Adrian decided to join BUPA.
they examine their patients well.
Adrian’s granny decided to complain to the Medical <