Santa Claus –
Bethlehem [‘beOlihem] –
2. Are the statements true or false? Correct the false statements.
1. Christmas day is a public holiday.
2. This day is held on December 25
in honour of the birth of Santa Claus.
3. In Britain people eat pudding before the dinner.
4. Christmas cake contains dried fruit.
5. Carol singing means singing carols at home at a Christmas table.
6. There is a tradition that children should put a long sock called a Christmas
7. Santa Claus visits each house on Christmas Eve by climbing down the
8. Santa Claus is a real old man in red clothes and with a long white beard.
3. Choose the right answer
1. What is the main public holiday in Britain?
a) St. Valentine’s Day b) Christmas c) April Fool’s Day
2. What does carol singing mean?
a) singing carols in the street b) singing carols at home c) singing carols at
3. What do British people usually do at the start of the Christmas meal?
a) they usually play cricket b) they usually pull a cracker c) they usually
4. What do British children do before they go to sleep on Christmas Eve?
a) they do their homework b) they go carol singing c) put a long sock at
the end of their bed or by the chimney
5. How is the day after Christmas called?
a) it’s called Boxing Day b) Independence Day c) Labour Day
6. How does Santa Claus travel about the sky?
a) he flies by plane b) he flies in a sleigh, pulled by reindeer c) he flies in
a carriage, pulled by horses
4. The first task for you is to match Russian equivalents with the words and