Конспект урока "The Discovery of America" 4 класс
Конспект урока английского языка во 4-ом классе.
УМК «Английский язык» для 4 класса, авторы И. Н. Верещагина, Т. А. Притыкина,
К. А. Бондаренко
Преподаватель: Цветкова О.В.
I. Theme introduction and new vocabulary
1) to discover-discovery-discoverer
Hello and welcome! Today’s lesson will be full of discoveries, my friends. Please look at the screen.
Does anyone have a clue who those guys are and what they did?
[On the screen one can see the portraits of different people.] Ok, ladies and gentlemen, please
welcome Michael Faraday and his discovery – electricity. That guy in the right corner, the one with
an apple hitting his head, is? Sure, Isaac Newton and his discovery – gravity. And finally, the man of
the day – Christopher Columbus. What did he discover? That’s right – he discovered America. He is a
discoverer. One must be very brave to be a discoverer.
2) to sail-sails-sailor
On the screen one can see a picture of “Titanic”.
And what’s that? Now that’s some ship, upon my words! “Titanic”, ever heard of that beauty? A
great plan and a great catastrophe. I’ll tell you what’s happened: it sailed and sailed and sailed and
everything was fine until it bumped into a huge iceberg. Never do that if you are a ship! Never do
that if you are a sheep either! And you know what? I wouldn’t like to be a sailor on Titanic, would
you? Yes, it looks like one must be brave to be a sailor too. And by the way who sails under black
sails? [a picture of a pirate’s ship and Jack the Sparrow on a screen] That’s right – pirates sail under
black sails. And who was waiting for scarlet sails? [picture of a ship under scarlet sails, Assol and
Grey]. That’s right – Assol was.
3) reach – reached
Now, I gotta put this poster on the blackboard, but I can’t reach that magnet. I’m not tall
enough. I wonder who could reach it. Pupil A, can you help me? Do you think you can reach it, if
you stand on that chair? Great! Thanks! Well, what is to reach? – That’s right.
II. Reading text
1) These new words will help us to understand a text about a great discoverer Christopher
Columbus. Please open your textbooks at p.89 and let’s read the text “The Discovery of
America”. After have read the text you are to answer the following question: What Christopher
Columbus discovered in 1492 – a country or a continent? [the question is on the blackboard].
Pupil B will start reading now.
[Pupils read the text and answer the stated question]
2) Now please look at the screen. I will show you some pictures which are somehow connected with
the text. Your task is to look through the text and to find one sentence matching each picture.
Here comes the first:
1. A map of North and South America.
2. Columbus’s ship reaching the land.
3. Children singing a song.
4. Italian and Spanish flags.
5. The king and the queen of Spain.
6. The Earth.
7. Indian tea.
8. A new Ford among old European beetles.
3) Please look at the screen again. You can see a table of information about Jane Austen, one of
England’s most famous writers:
one of England’s most famous writers
Date of birth:
Place of birth:
Bath and Southampton (cities in the south of
Examples of work:
Six novels, including Emma and Mansfield Park
Your task is to look through the text and to fill in the same type of table for Christopher
Columbus. Then we’ll compare your findings. [Worksheets with tables are distributed to pupils,
“Examples of work” is replaced by “Important discoveries”]
4) Now look through the text again and underline all the past verbs that you encounter. Let’s read
what you’ve got. Good, close your textbooks, please. On the screen you can see most of these
verbs in exactly the same order as they are used in the text. You will work in pairs to make a
story about Columbus that has all these verbs in that particular order. One of you will then start
the story and the others continue.
Verbs on the screen:
1. was born
III. Thanks and Homework
Good job, my friends! I think you have managed to grasp the main points of the text and shouldn’t
have difficulties working with it at home. Please put down your homework:
1) Make a plan for the text and use it to say a few words about Columbus.
2) Write down sentences that contain the most important facts.
3) Underline sentences that can be omitted.
4) Answer the questions inEx.4 on p.91 in writing.
Материалы из категории:
- Презентация "Знакомимся с буквами Ll, Mm, Nn, Rr и соответствующими им звуками" 2 класс
- Конспект урока "Кто живёт на ферме у бабушки?" 2 класс
- Конспект урока "British places of interests" 7 класс
- Презентация "Present Simple vs Present Continuous" 5 класс
- Технологическая карта урока "Дорожная азбука. Road ABC" 7 класс
- Конспект урока "Present Simple and Present Continuous" 5 класс