Welcome, everybody, in our competition the Masters of English! The Masters of English is an
intellectual game when you answer questions, do different tasks racking your brains.
Let’s form two teams. You should choose your captain. Each captain must introduce his or her
team, that is, say its name. Thank you, they were quite original.
So today we have six categories: 1. An expert of English-speaking countries, 2. The Lord of
synonyms 3. The ruler of Grammar kingdom 4. The Maker of History 5. ”Let’s go!” 6. Read and
Each category has different number of questions. If your answer is correct you get a point, if
your answer is not correct the other team has a chance to give an answer
Are you ready to start?
Warm-up “Let’s choose a Leader”
Of course we start our competition with Brainstorming! There are 8 balloons on the blackboard.
There is a task in each balloon. You have to choose the balloon, read the question and answer it.
Team, which gives the correct answer, will get a chance to choose a category for the next round
The questions are easy and difficult at the same time, because they are riddles. So be attentive,
please. Every correct answer will earn the team 1 point.
1. There was a green house. Inside the green house there was a white house. Inside the white
house there was a red house. Inside the red house there were lots of babies. What is it?
2. Look at my face and you see somebody
Look at my back and you see nobody. (A mirror.)
3. All about, but cannot be seen,
Can be captured, cannot be held,
No throat, but can be heard. (Wind)
4. Lighter than what
I am made of,
More of me is hidden
Than is seen. (Iceberg)
5. What is found over your head but under your hat? (Hair)
6. What can you catch but not throw? (a cold)
7. It is not a man, it is not a woman, but it teaches us. (a book)
8. The more you have of it, the less you see. What is it?. (Darkness)
Well done! Now we are ready to our main part! Please choose the category.
Task 1. An expert of English-speaking countries
In this task you should answer the questions about English-speaking countries. The captain of the
team…please choose the number from 1 to 12.
1. Give the full name of the UK (The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)