2. Today everybody knows what the word “America” means. It is the name of the country – the United States of America – or just America. And America is also the name of the two continents – North America and South America. These two continents, North and South America, form the part of the world called America.
Answer the questions to the text:
What country has the word ''America'' in its name?
What two continents have the word ''America'' in their names?
3. Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492. We don’t know much about this man. He was born in Italy but lived in Spain for a long time. He was a seaman and made many sea voyages.
Who is Christopher Columbus? What do you know about him?
When did Columbus discover America?
4. In 1492 the King and the Queen of Spain gave him money to go to India. He decided to sail west and he reached some land. Columbus thought that it was India but it was not. It was a new land. It was America. People began to speak about this land as “the New World”.
What country did Columbus want to reach?
How do people call America?
1. Find and underline the verbs
used in Past Simple in the text.
2. Fill in the gaps with the words from the text:
There are the two continents: ___________ America and _____________ America. The full name of the U.S.A. is the _________ ___________ of ____________. _____________ _______________ discovered America in ____________. He was born in ______________ but lived in ____________ for a long time. He was a ______________. The __________ and the ____________ of Spain gave him money to go to ________. He discovered a new______________.
People began to call the new land “the ________ _________”.