Презентация "Emma by Jane Austin" 10-11 класс
Подписи к слайдам:
- By Jane Austen
- The author
- Main points of the plot
- General comments
- (16 December 1775 – 18 July 1817)
- Jane Austen’s literary genius is universally acknowledged. Each of her novels, written in the early part of the 19th century, can be described as a masterpiece. Of these, Emma (1816) is generally agreed to be Austen’s most accomplished work. A film of Emma was released in 1996.
- The novel was written in comic tone. As most of Jane Austen’s works, it is not about poor people. She wrote about people who had money and property. Austen began the work in January 1814 and completed it in March of the next year. The book was published in three volumes.
- Emma came out in1816 & many people think it to be her best work. 2000 copies were printed. It was the last novel to appear before her death.Before she began her novel,Austen wrote, “I’m going to take a heroine whom noone but myself will much like”.
- First Edition of Jane Austen's Emma
- Emma Woodhouse, the 21-year-old heroine of the book is beautiful, clever, and rich, having a comfortable life. She is the youngest of the two daughters of a very affectionate, indulgent father.
- Emma has, in consequence of her sister's marriage, been mistress of their house from a very early period as her older sister lives in London with her husband & five children.
- Her mother died too long ago for Emma to remember her care. So the father found a governess, Mrs Taylor, who played the part of her mother.
- Emma has too much time and she amuses herself by matchmaking, convinced of her own superiority & knowledge of people’s hearts. But she is blind to her own feelings. She makes a lot of mistakes & causes more problems than happy marriages.
- Her old friend is Mr Knightly, a man in his late thirties who treats Emma like a younger sister. Although Emma is charming, she is also rather spoilt. She befriends a young woman, Harriet, who is of a much lower social class.
- She makes several attempts to pair off Harriet with men she considers suitable. But Harriet becomes interested in George Knightley & falls in love with him.
- When she reveals her feelings to Emma, our heroine realises with horror, that while claiming to know other’s hearts, she has neglected her own - & she is desperately in love with Mr Knightly who has been her moral adviser, and secretly loves her.
- Finally Emma finds her destiny in marriage with him. Harriet, who is left to decide for herself, marries Robert Martin, a young farmer.
- Emma is a beautifully written novel.It is rather interesting to read as it portraits Jane Austen’s idea of how important being connected to respectable familiy is. Some characters are very poor but because they are of respectable birth they are socially acceptable.
- However, you will still enjoy the foolish pride and insensibility of the title character who believes she can play cupid for people and develops a hobby for matchmaking. This leads to a comic saga of misunderstandings creating some hilarious and unexpected results.
- All in all, Emma is certainly worth reading. I can thoroughly recommend this book as it is a classic of its kind. Moreover, it will change the way you think about life in the early part of the 19th century.
- N. S. Rodionova
- Gymnasium 293
Материалы из категории:
- Конспект урока "Давайте познакомимся" 2 класс УМК «FORWARD» М.В. Вербицкой
- Конспект урока "Страна изучаемого языка и моя страна" 4 класс
- Презентация "Sport in our life" 6 класс
- Технологическая карта урока "School things" 5 класс
- План-конспект открытого урока "Healthy Lifestyle" 5 класс
- Презентация "My native village" 8 класс