II. Last lesson we watched this interview once and now we are going to watch it
for the second time. Be attentive, your task is to answer the questions and then give
the summery of the interview.(Interview with Arthur Conan Doyle)
1) What was Conan Doyle by his first profession?
2) What kind of stories did he used to read occasionally?
3) Why did he not like them?
4) What was Conan Doyle’s idea of a detective?
5) What was the name of some professor at the university?
6) What was the professor famous for?
7) Did Conan Doyle receive letters addressed to Sherlock Holmes?
8) What kind of study did he get interested later?
9) Did he earn his living by writing after he had started studying of the beyond?
10) Why was he so sure of the existence of a spiritual life, life after death?
III. So, we have spoken about the English writer and now let’s listen to the text
about famous Russian poet Nikolai Gumiliov and say which of the statements
below are true and which are false.
1)In the poet’s early years his greatest pleasure was books.
2)The poet began to think about travelling after he visited Tiflis.
3)Tiflis was the place where Nikolai’s poem first came out in print.
4)Nikolai was not an excellent pupil.
5) Annensky was an author.
6)Nikolai’s father wanted his son to see the world, and gave him money to travel to
7)The poet didn’t write to his parents from Africa.
8)The poet did some scientific work in Africa.
IV. Your classmates have prepared presentation about another famous writer,
about Luis Carroll. You are welcome, boys.