Конспект занятия "Ideal teacher: what is he like?"
Бытко Оксана Олеговна, учитель МКОУ «Андринская СОШ», ХМАО-Югра, Октябрьский район, гп. Андра
Тема: IDEAL TEACHER: WHAT IS HE LIKE?
Цель занятия: to develop students’ lexical skills in different speech activities
1. to introduce new lexical material and train it in speech; to enlarge students’ range of vision through getting new knowledge; to form skills of
skimming and scanning reading;
2. to develop students’ attention, memory, abilities of logical expressing of their thoughts, critical thinking of students;
3. to bring up students’ feeling of respect towards the teaching profession; to promote development of students’ interest to learning English language
and culture of relationships in group work.
Основные понятия: Continuous tenses, ideal teacher
Методическое обеспечение: interactive board, computer, Power Point presentation, papers, markers, pens, exercise-books, hand-outs: text, sets of cards
Тип занятия: Combined lesson
Методы и приемы: frontal work, group work, verbal method, demonstrative method, descriptive method, non-translating method, brainstorming,
association, critical thinking, cluster, skimming, research reading, analysis.
Stage of the lesson
Content of the
plan of work on
- I’m glad to see you. You may sit down.
- Good-afternoon dear guests. Thank you
for your coming here.
- Is anybody absent today?
- What date is it today?
- What day of the week is it today?
- How are you feeling today?
- Are you ready to work?
- Good-afternoon, teacher!
- No, all are present.
- Today is the 5
- Today is Wednesday
- I am fine, thank you
- Yes, of course
- Then let’s start. I’d like to get you
acquainted shortly with the plan of our
work at the lesson today.
1. First of all, we will check up your
2. Then we will turn to the new theme. You
will have to guess about the theme of the
lesson in the process of doing some
3. The work at the new theme will be based
on speaking, reading the text and doing
different exercises (such as answering the
questions, true\ false statements, fill-in the
blanks, matching, definitions, making
(Past, Present and
1. The rule of
- And now it’s high time to check up your
homework. Your hometask was to learn the
rule of forming and using Continuous
Past, Present and Future.
1. - How do we form these tenses?
- Let’s see whether you are right or not.
- That’s right.
Past Continuous tense - Was\
were + doing
Present Continuous tense - Am\
is\ are + doing
Future Continuous tense - Will be
2. The rule of
using the tenses
2. - And what do you know about the use
of these tenses? What actions do they
- Look at the board. You can see the
correct anwer here. Yes, you are right.
Past Continuous tense describes
an action in progress at a
particular time in the past
Present Continuous tense
describes an action in progress at
a particular time in the present
Future Continuous describes an
action in progress at a particular
time in the future
3. The markers
of the tenses
3. - What are the markers for every tense?
(the words that help us to understand what
tense is used)
- for Past Continuous – for
example: at 1 o’clock yesterday,
at this ime last week
- for Present Continuous – now, at
the moment, at present
- for Future Continuous – this
time next year, at 5 o’clock
4.- Now you will do some exercises to
show how you can use your theoretical
knowledge in practice.
1) In the first exercise you have to choose
the correct answer to complete the
2) In the next exercise you have to give the
correct form of the verb in brackets to
complete the sentence:
3) Describe the picture using Past, Present
and Future Continuous tenses; use the
markers of these tenses:
- what was he doing …. ?
- what is he doing ….. ?
- what will he be doing ……?
(students answer one by one)
(students answer one by one)
(students describe the picture
using Past, Present, Future
5. Summing up
5. – So, I see that you know how to form
and use Continuous tenses.
Prediction of the
1. Working with
the photo (there
photos on the
And now let’s turn to the new theme of our
lesson. But I won’t say it to you: you will
have to guess about the new theme.
1. – First, look at these photos. Choose one
that you like most of all and explain your
- the person in this photo is
positive and pleasant
board – the
images of a good
and bad teacher)
- Who do you think is shown in these
- Why do you think that this is a good
teacher? Describe the person in the photo.
- a (good) teacher
- she is friendly\ she helps her
pupil\ she praises her pupil
2. Qualities of a
2. - What are the qualities of a good teacher
in your opinion?
Work in groups and give 3 statements
about what a good teacher is.
(students’ possible answers)
1) A good teacher loves his job
2) A good teacher loves and
3) A good teacher helps pupils
4) A good teacher knows his
5) A good teacher understands
pupils and their problems
6) A good teacher is strict but
7) A good teacher is never late
8) A good teacher is friendly
9) A good teacher has a sense of
10) A good teacher motivates
11) A good teacher creates good
12) atmosphere in the classroom
the new theme
(on the board)
what is he like?”
- Do you think that it’s enough to be just a
- So, can you guess what the theme of our
- You are right. The theme of our lesson
today is “Ideal teacher: what is he like?”
Today we will speak about an ideal teacher
and by the end of the lesson you will have
to answer this question and to form the
image of an ideal teacher: his appearance,
personal characteristics, behavior.
- Do you think that this topic is important
- No, every teacher should try to
become an ideal teacher.
- Ideal teacher.
- Yes, because our future
profession is a teacher.
Work with the
2) Introduction of
1. - Is teaching an easy or difficult job?
2. - Why did you choose this profession?
3. - What kind of teacher would you like to
- With the help of the given definition
guess the meaning of the word. (teacher
reads the word and students repeat, then a
student reads a definition)
(students’ possible answers)
- It’s a difficult but interesting
- I love children\ I want to know
much and to give my knowledge
- I would like to be a professional\
perfect\ excellent\ ideal teacher
(students do the task orally)
2. Reading the
1. - You are going to read the text on the
theme of our lesson. But you won’t read
the whole text. You are sitting in 3 groups.
Every group will get only 1 part of the text.
1) Look through your part of the text and
give the main idea of it.
2) Read the questions, then read the text to
yourselves and find the answers for these
(students skim their part of the
text and then give the main idea)
(students scan their part of the
text and find answers for the
2) Matching the
to its ending
3) True\ false
4) Filling in the
5) Definition –
1) - So, you have read your part of the
text and now give your answers for the
questions.(teacher reads the questons)
2) - Match the beginning of the sentence
to its ending
3) – Say whether the statement is true or
4) – Fill in the blanks with the words
from your new vocabulary
5) – I will give you a definition and you
will say the word which is presented by
(students answer the questions)
6) Giving the
title to the
the main idea
of the text
6) – You see that this text doesn’t have any
title. In your groups think of the most
7) – And now, also in your groups, think
about the main idea of the whole text
(students discuss the title in their
groups and then answer)
- This text is about an ideal
teacher: about what is he like,
how he behaves in the classroom
and how he treats his pupils.
IV. Работа по
2. 10 statements
about what an
ideal teacher is
1. - Now using new vocabulary and all
knowledge that you’ve got today, in groups
make up the cluster “Ideal teacher” to form
the image of an ideal teacher and so to
answer the question of our lesson today.
But you will use different aspects:
group will tell about his appearance and
personal characteristics (using adjectives),
2nd group will tell about his behaviour,
3d group will tell about his relationships
2. - Choose 3 statements which are the
most important in your opinion, explain
(students make up their clusters
and then present them to other
(students choose and say)
V. Задание на дом.
Giving the cards
with the new
- Your hometask is to learn by heart new
vocabulary and get ready for a quiz.
2. Giving the
marks for the
- Let’s remember what we have done at the
-What have you learnt at the lesson?
- Did you answer the main question of our
- I liked your work today and your marks
1) ... – you were very active, your answers
were full and correct and you get a five .