London is one of the most famous and interesting cities in Europe. It is well-known for
its museums, theaters, art galleries, parks, palaces and of course, shops.
The most famous shop in London (and some people say the most famous in the world)
- Harrods, in Knightsbridge. It opened in 1849.
Oxford street has many big shops - Selfridges, Marks and Spencer, John Lewis,
Debenhams. There are always lots of people looking at the shops here, but at Christmas
thousands more people come to see the wonderful Christmas lights - and to buy things for
their friends and family for Christmas.
Charing Cross Road is famous for its bookshops. There are lots of them and they sell
old and new books. One of the oldest and most famous is Foyles. It has thousands of books.
Covent Garden was once a big food market, but now it has lots of small shops and
There are two very famous markets in London. Petticoat Lane market opens on
Sundays. It is a good place to buy cheap clothes and things for the home. At the market at
Portobello Road (open on Saturdays) you can buy old clocks, old chairs and tables, and
hundreds of other things.
1. There are a lot of places to visit and to see in London.
2. London's shop well-known all over the world began its
work in 1849.
3. People come in Oxford Street at Christmas time to have
a talk with Santa.
4. In Marks and Spencer people always buy smart clothes.
5. Foyles is a famous shops where you can buy old and new
6. Covent Garden was once a big food market, but then the
Queen of Britain opened cafes there.
7. Petticoat Lane market and Portobello Road work from 9.00 till 6.00 every day
except Saturday and Sunday.