The State Dining Room
Слайд № 23
The State Dining Room can seat 130 guests at dinners and luncheons. It was originally much smaller
and served at various times as drawing room, office, and Cabinet Room.
Above the mantel hangs the portrait of Abraham Lincoln.
Слайд № 24
The Oval Office
Слайд № 25
Its décor may vary from one administration to another, but the flags standing behind the desk remain in
their traditional places: to the President` s left, the Presidential flag: to his right, in the place of honor,
the flag of the United States of America.
Слайд № 26
The Second and the Third Floors are used only by the Presidential family and guests. Located here are
the Lincoln Bedroom, the President` s Office ( used as the Cabinet Room) and the Queen` s Bedroom,
named for its royal visitors.
Слайд № 27
The White House is open to visitors from 10 am to 12 noon, Tuesday through Saturday: it is closed
Sunday, Monday, some holidays, and for official functions.
Слайд № 28
• There are six floors in the building, two basement levels, ground level, second floor and third floor.
• There are 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms,. There are 412 doors, 147 windows, 28 fireplaces, 8 staircases,
and 3 elevators.
• The White House requires 570 gallons of paint to cover its outside surface.
• For recreation it has a tennis court, jogging track, swimming pool, movie theatre, and bowling lane.
• President Roosevelt named the White House, before that it was called the Executive Mansion.
Слайд № 29 Quiz :
Now we ` ll see how attentive you were
1) How many years did it take to build the White House?
Answer: 8 years
2) What is the address of the White House?
Answer: Pennsylvania Avenue 1600
3) Who gave the White House its current name?
Answer: Theodore Roosevelt
4) Which Room is the largest?
Answer: East Room
5) Wh ere is the Christmas Tree placed?
Answer: Blue Room
What do remain in their traditional places in the Oval Office?
Answer: Flags — The Presidential Flag and the Flag of the US.
Подведение итогов урока. Можно попросить уч-ся сказать, что наиболее интересным и
необычным было для них при знакомстве с Белым Домом.
Данная презентация выполнена в программе Microsoft Office Powerpoint. Материал носит
лингвострановедческий характер и подходит для любого УМК. В конце презентации на слайде №
29 даны вопросы по содержанию материала. Правильный ответ появляется при помощи щелчка