VI. Развитие навыков монологической речи. Работа в группах по три человека.
– Now it’s high time to discuss and solve some ecological problems, the main topic is
“Environment”. We’ve divided into groups of three, that’s why you are sitting in such a way.
You are to tell us the main points of the given topic. I give you 4-5 minutes. At the end we’ll
make conclusions. Our topics are:
“Water pollution”, “Air Pollution”, “The Ozone Hole” (озоновая дыра), “The Greenhouse
Effect” (парниковый эффект), “Acid Rains” (кислотные дожди). /Темы заранее давались
с целью поисковой работы/.
– Please, stop discussing. One by one report your topic and make the conclusion, announce it.
P1. “Water Pollution” – We need to save our water, to keep it clean and healthy so people, plants
and animals will always have something to drink. And so fish and other creatures will have a
place to live.
P2. “Acid Rain” – It’s very important for us to stop making acid rain. One good way to do that is
to drive our cars less. Another good way is to save energy. The less energy we use, the less coal
those power plants will have to burn.
P3. “Air Pollution” – It’s very important for us to clean up the air we all breathe. Everyone can
help keep our air clean and safe. It’s even fun! You can plant a tree, ride your bike, and even
write a letter to a newspaper.
P4. “Greenhouse Effect” – Everybody can help stop the greenhouse effect by using less energy,
protecting and planting tress, and by recycling – so factories don’t need to work as hard making
P5. “The Ozone Hole” – Scientists are very concerned about the ozone layer, because a lot of it
has gone away in just a few years. So it’s very important that we learn to do something about it.
We can all help to stop the ozone layer from disappearing!
– Thank you, well done, you are so clever I am proud of you.
VII. Занимательный квиз: “How Green Are You?”
Here is a quiz to see how green you are and how well informed you are about the environment.
Try it now and again in six month's time, when you have taken some action.
Score one point for every "yes" answer.
1. Do you read the list of ingredients on the food you buy?
2. Do you take a shower instead of bath?
3. Have you planted at least one tree?
4. Do you feed birds or squirrels in winter?
5. Do you insulate your house in winter to save heat?
6. Do you switch off lights if nobody needs them on?
7. Does your school/college/home use recycled paper?
8. If you have ever organized campaigns on environmental issues, score 5.
9. For short journeys, do you regularly walk, if you can?
10. For long journeys, do you regularly use a bike or public transport?
11. Coming back from the forest or from the beach, do you always take your litter with you?
12. If your family doesn't have a car, score 2.
13. If you are a non-smoker, score 3.
14. If you don't buy aerosols at all, score 5.
15. Do you buy cruelly-free products? (those not tested on animals)
16. If you have ever written to a manufacturer to complain about their products, score 5.
17. Do you belong to any environmental organization?
18. Can you name one endangered species?
19 Do you take bottles to the bottle bank?