Exercise: Use passive infinitive in theses sentences.
1. I hated to bother you but the man is still waiting (to give) an answer.
2. He hated (to bother) with unimportant matters when he had so many
questions to decide.
3. The idea was too complicated (to express) in just one sentence.
4. The book is (to publish) very soon.
5. The only sound (to hear) was the tick of the grandfather’s clock
The Infinitive can be used in the function of the subject, predicative, object,
attribute, adverbial modifier.
State the forms and functions of the infinitives.
1. To have a hot water tap is very convenient. (subject)
2. To move to a new flat is always pleasant. (subject)
3. Our desire is to furnish our kitchen in a new style. (predicative)
4. Our plan was to parquet the floor. (predicative)
5. My mother plans to buy a piano for me. (object)
6. She was glad to have got a good refrigerator. (object)
7. This is a dish to put apples in. (attribute)
8. He was the last to come to our party. (attribute)
9. The flat was too small to hold so many guests. (adverbial modifier of result)
Exercise: Replace the subordinate clauses by infinitives in various functions.
Model: The child is very proud that he presses the button in the lift.
The child is very proud to press the button in the lift.
1. I have bought good paint with which I shall paint the floor.
2. There is a lift in the house which takes us to the upper stories.
3. He was the first man who was invited to the party.