Презентация "Let`s Walk About London" 11 класс
Подписи к слайдам:
- Атаманчук Н. А.
- МОУ ДО(С)ОШ № 9
- Welcome to …
- (click a mouse at
- any picture)
The Tower of London
- The Tower of London stands on the river Thames. It was built in the 11th century as a fortress. In the early days of British history the English kings lived in the Tower. Then it was a prison. Now the Tower of London is a museum which contains fine collections. At 10 p.m. every evening the guards lock the big doors of the Tower for the night. It is guarded by the Yeomen Warders popularly known as “Beefeaters”.
- On the picture you can see the White Tower
- Trafalgar Square is located in the centre of London and attracts many tourists. In the middle of the square there is the Nelson Column, a monument to Admiral Nelson for his victories in the war against Napoleon. In 1805 the English won the victory at Trafalgar.
St. Paul ’s Cathedral
- St. Paul`s Cathedral is the main church of London. It was built in 1675-1710 after the Great Fire. It is crowned by the dome. Here is the famous Whispering Gallery. There are many memorials in the Cathedral to such heroes as Wellington and Nelson.
- Westminster Abbey is magnificent! The Abbey is 9 hundred years old. It is a church near the Houses of Parliament. British monarchs are crowned in it. The Abbey contains many royal tombs and memorials to famous people. But the most popular ones are those to writers, actors and musicians in Poet’s Corner.
The British Museum
- This is one of the biggest museums of the world .It houses fine collections of unique things. The Library of the British Museum is packed with books about everything from dinosaurs to outer space. It has a copy of every book published in this country.
- The Houses of Parliament is a very large building with two towers at the corners. One of them is the Clock Tower. The clock and the tower itself is nicknamed Big Ben. British people learn the time from this famous clock.
- Buckingham Palace is the London residence of the British Queen and the Royal Family. London’s most popular spectacle is Changing the Guard. It takes place in the forecourt and lasts about 30 minutes.
Copyright © 2013-2016 "Учителя.com" | Обратная связь: firstname.lastname@example.org