1) is working а) работает (с 5 часов)
2) has worked b) поработал (уже)
3) has been working с) все еще работает
1) are translated a) будет переведена
2) are being translated b) только что переведена
3) has been translated с) (ее) сейчас переводят
4) will be translated d) переводится (обычно)
IV Работа с текстом «Foreign languages in the life of a modern man» (прочитать,
ответить на вопросы).
The great German poet Goethe once said, «He, who knows no foreign language,
does not know his own one». Learning foreign languages is especially important
nowadays. Some people learn languages because they need them in their work, others
travel abroad, for the third studying languages is a hobby.
Every year thousands of people from Russia go to different countries as tourists or
to work. They can't go without knowing the languages of the country they are going to. A
modern engineer or even a worker cannot work with an imported instrument or a machine
if he is not able to read the instruction how to do that.
A scientist, a historian, a diplomat are, as a rule, polyglots, because they need
foreign languages in their work. If you want to be a stewardess, a pilot or an air traffic
control officer you must learn English, the language of international communication. And
how can a shopgirl or a cashier in a big department store understand a foreigner, if she
does not know a foreign language?
So a modern and a cultured person must learn foreign languages.
1. Whom do we call polyglots?
2. Why do you learn English?
3. Why do other people learn this language?
4. Where is the foreign language used?