Презентация "Welcome to New York!" 8 класс
Подписи к слайдам:
Welcome to New York!
Welcome to New York!
- New York is the largest city in the United States. It is situated in the south-east of New York State at the mouth of the Hudson River. Its 319.8 square miles include five boroughs – Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Staten Island and Manhattan. More than 8 million people live here. New York is a multinational city – people joke that there are more Chinese in it than in Peking, more Mexicans than in Mexico etc. The bay was first seen by an Italian navigator in 1525 and a century later it was explored by Captain Henry Hudson who discovered the river and Manhattan Island. In 1626 two shiploads of Dutch colonists arrived and they set up their first settlement. Beginning with a little Dutch settlement the city has grown to the largest city in the USA.
Statue of Liberty
- The Statue of Liberty meets those who come to New York by sea. It is in the bay. The Statue is made of bronze and has a torch of freedom in one hand and the book of American Declaration in the other. In 1886 the Statue was brought to the USA as a present from France to commemorate the alliance between France and America. It is about 46 metres high and stands on the platform.
- Manhattan Island, heart of the city, is the part most interesting for visitors. It is an island just 13 miles long and 2 miles wide. It is the centre of American finance,advertising, art, theatre, publishing, fashion – and much more. The borough of Manhattan is what most people think of New York. Manhattan is divided into the East Side and the West Side. It is also divided into Lower, Midtown and Upper Manhattan.
New York Bridges
- New York Bridges are famous all over the world – the most beautiful are the George Washington Bridge, the Brooklyn Bridge and others.
- Times Square known as the Crossroads of the world, the heart and centre of the entertainment world. Times Square is named after the New York Times, which for years had its headquarters there. The New York Times is considered among the best newspapers in the country. Times Square is the beginning of the theatre district – the area where Broadway plays are performed.
- Broadway is a wide avenue 29 kilometres long. It is the centre of the US Theatrical world. Some world famous theatres and cinemas are situated there. Success on Broadway is the sweetest thing that can happen to a name in show business. They say there is no success like it.
Empire State Building
- New York is a city of sky-scrapers. Many of the tallest buildings in the world are in New York. Among them the Empire State Building. It is the third tallest building in the world. The Empire State Building has become not only a symbol of New York but also part of its history – both real, as when a plane crashed into it in 1945, and fictional, as when King Kong clung to it in the 1933 movie.
Copyright © 2013-2017 "Учителя.com" | Обратная связь: firstname.lastname@example.org