Презентация "BRAVE NEW WORLD" 11 класс
Подписи к слайдам:
Презентацию составила студентка 4 курса
КФУ (подразделение Таврическая академия им. В. И. Вернадского)
факультета иностранной филологии
специальности (английский язык и литература)
Зинькова Наталья Александровна
BRAVE NEW WORLD
BRAVE NEW WORLD
- Aldous Leonard Huxley
(26 July 1894 – 22 November 1963)
was an English writer and philosopher.
One of his famous novel is Brave New World. This novel written in 1931.
Huxley said that Brave New World was inspired by the utopian novels of
H. G. Wells, including A Modern Utopia (1905) and Men Like Gods (1923).
- Title comes from Shakespeare’s The Tempest
- Used ironically
- In different languages, title is changed, sometimes to reflect their versions of works:
- French: The Best of All Worlds
- German: Beautiful New World
- Italian: The New World
- Spanish: A Happy World
- In Shakespeare’s time, “brave” meant “beautiful” or “good looking”
All individuals divided into five castes:
Their lives are predetermined. Their goals are given to them.
" Euphoric, narcotic" it is all about soma. It's the best tool the government has for controlling its population. It sedates, calms, and most importantly distracts a person from realizing that there's actually something very, very wrong – the citizens of the World State are enslaved.
“You do look glum! What you need is a gramme of soma.”
- Throughout Brave New World, the citizens of the World State substitute the name of Henry Ford, the early twentieth-century industrialist and founder of the Ford Motor Company, wherever people in our own world would say “Lord”. This demonstrates for technology—specifically the efficient, mechanized factory production of goods that Henry Ford pioneered that even at the level of casual conversation and habit, religion has been replaced by reverence.
Setting/ Significance: 2540 a.d.; referred to in the novel as 632 years “After Ford,” meaning 632 years after the production of the first Model T car.
Genre/ Characteristics: Dystopia
Significance of Opening Scene: The novel opens in the Central London Hatchery and Conditioning Centre. Shows that people are made by machines.
Protagonists: Bernard Marx, Helmholtz Watson, and John
List of main characters:
1.)Bernard Marx – an alpha male, takes John the savage to the new world, can be cruel
2.)Lenina Crowne - A vaccination worker at the Central London Hatchery , blonde hair, becomes fond of John, in a relationship with Bernard.
3.)Mustapha Mond - The Resident World Controller of Western Europe, one of only ten World Controllers.
Thanks for your attention!
Материалы из категории:
- Презентация "Современный урок английского языка" 9 класс
- Презентация "MODAL VERBS" 9 класс
- Презентация "Welcome to Russia!" 9 класс
- Презентация "We are best friends for our planet" 9 класс
- Презентация "The biggest cities of Great Britain" 9 класс
- Презентация "Interesting facts about life of Anton Pavlovich Chekhov" 9 класс