In Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Area the well-known nentsy and khanty national
festival is ‘’The Day of Reindeer’’ which is celebrated on the first Sunday of
April . This festival symbolizes the beginning of spring. A lot of guests and
sportsmen from other national settlements (посёлков) of Purovskiy region are
coming here. National sports reflect (отражают) the culture traditions and
customs of the yamal people.
On this day various competitions are hеld (проходят) such as throwing tenzyan
on khorey, running with a stick on 3 miles, jumping over the sledges, pulling
(перетягивание) the stick and the most exciting competition is the races on the
deer’s sledges. All these competitions symbolize the skills of nenets-herdsman (
ненца-пастуха), his ability to survive( выживать) in extreme conditions of the
North. Also nentsy and khanty people show their national dresses and
costumes‘malitsa’ made from deer’s skin called. ‘Malitsa’ warm them in severe
winter. People can try their national food ‘stroganina’ from deer’s meat and
different kinds of fish. Look and buy their crafts, then go into their national house
which is called ‘chum’.
Every year a lot of people of our country come and watch this festival. Native
people give tours (проводят экскурсии), tell about their way of life. Festivities
(праздненства) held( проводящиеся) on these days combine(объединяют)
different cultures and representatives(представителей) of other nations peacefully
exist(мирно существующих) on the land Pur.
1. Answer the questions.
1. What is the main spring festival for native people of Yamal?
2. What does this festival symbolize?
3. What competitions are held on this festival?
4. What is the most exciting competition?
5. What is the name of their national costume? What is this costume made of?
6. What do native people eat?
7. Where do they live?
2.This task is for pupils with different levels of English.
The first group writes TRUE/FALSE
1) This festival held in autumn.
2) Native people do national sports to survive in severe winter.
3) They wear “malitsa” and eat “stroganina”.
4) Native people live on the second floor.
The second group fills in the gaps.
1) The national festival in Yamal is ……………
2) This festival symbolizes ……………………..
3) The most exciting competition is…………….
4) Native people…………, tell about their way of life.
The third group checks their answers.
7. Итоги урока (запись домашнего задания, выставление оценок).
T: Dear boys and girls, can you tell me what did we do at the lesson?