Презентация "History & Mystery of the English language"
Подписи к слайдам:
- History & Mystery of the English language.
The aims of the lesson:
- To summarize the material of the previous lessons.
- To learn the new words.
- Get the new information about the British history.
- Repeat the following words after the speaker
- to include – включать
- competition – соревнование
- cooperation – сотрудничество
- to inhabit – населять
- immemorial – незапамятные
- natives – коренные жители
- to invent – изобретать
- rune – руна
- contribution – вклад
- basic – основной
- to remain – оставаться
- to determine – определять
- to invade – вторгаться
- bath house - баня
- way of life – образ жизни
- immediately – сразу же
- Christianity – христианство
- to introduce – вводить
- to raid – грабить
- influence – влияние
- kingdom – королевство
- to describe – описывать
The History of the British Isles
- The British Isles have a long history. It includes war and peace, drama and tragedy, competition and cooperation with different nations.
- The Celts inhabited Britain since the times immemorial. They can be called the natives of the British Isles.
- The Celts invented their own written language, but instead of letters they used runes. Many places of interest, such as Stonehenge, were also built by them.
- The Celtic contribution to the English language is not great. Only the basic words still remain in everyday use, such as:
- go, eat, drink, be, father, mother, etc.
- What sphere do they belong to?
- In the 44 AD the Romans invaded the British Isles.
- They built roads, walls, schools and bath houses. And of course, collected taxes. Soon most of the Celts got used to the Roman way of life.
- The Romans had brought many new words to the English language. The names of food (cherry, pear, wine), buildings (wall, street), etc.
- Why do the Romans build such a great number of roads?
- The Romans left Britain in the 5th century. And immediately it was attacked by the German tribes - Angles, Saxons, Jutes.
- The natives couldn’t defend themselves. The Germans founded the first kingdoms and lived in peace with the Celts for a few centuries.
- The Anglo-Saxon words still remain in the English language. They mostly describe the household and family being.
- - Lord, lady, bread, pork, cow, etc.
- In the 6th century the Christianity was introduced in Britain. The new words came into the language:
- - angel, altar, devil, the Bible.
- Guess the meaning of these words!
- From the 8th century the Vikings began to raid the British Isles. Finally they even got a piece of land – the so called Danelaw.
- The words brought to the English language by the Vikings have something in common: sounds “s”, “sk”, “g”, for example:
- - egg, sky, ship, skirt, sea, etc.
- In the 1066 AD William the Conqueror defeated the English king Harold in the battle of Hastings and became the king himself.
- The Norman influence on the English language was great! A lot of words from French came into it, for example:
- village, army, soldier, religion, venison, beef, etc.
- The Germans (5th century)
- The Vikings (8th century)
Choose the right answer:
- 1. Who invaded Britain in the 5th century?
- a) Romans b) Normans c) Germans
- 2. What was the nickname of king William?
- a) the Noble b) the Conqueror c) the Deer
- 3. The Normans came from ….
- a) France b) Russia c) USA d) China
Choose the right answer:
- 4. The Christianity was introduced in …
- a) 6th century b) 11th century c) 44 BC
- 5. The Vikings …
- a) raided Britain b) defended Britain
- 6. The runes were used by …
- a) the Romans b) the Normans c) the Celts
Copyright © 2013-2016 "Учителя.com" | Обратная связь: email@example.com