Презентация "QUEEN VICTORIA"
Подписи к слайдам:
- QUEEN VICTORIA
- In 1837 Queen Victoria took the throne after the death of her uncle William IV. Barely 18, she refused any further influence from her domineering mother and ruled in her own stead. Popular respect for the Crown was at a low point, but the straightforward young Queen won the hearts of her subjects. On February 10th, 1840, only three years after taking the throne, Victoria took her first vow and married her cousin, Prince Albert. Their relationship was one of great love and admiration. She was devoted to him and did nothing without her husband's approval. Albert assisted in her royal duties.
Victoria and Albert had nine children — four sons and five daughters: Victoria, Bertie, Alice, Alfred, Helen, Louise, Arthur, Leopold and Beatrice.
- Victoria's long reign witnessed an evolution in England politics and the expansion of the British Empire, as well as political and social reforms on the continent. France had known two dynasties and embraced Republicanism, Spain had seen three monarchs and both Italy and Germany had united their separate principalities into national coalitions. Even in her dotage, she maintained a youthful energy and optimism that infected the English population as a whole.
THE VICTORIA CROSS
- The Victoria Cross is the British realm's highest award for gallantry in the face of the enemy. The Victoria Cross was founded by Royal Warrant 29, 1856 to recognize the bravery of those who were then fighting the Crimean War. It was available to all soldiers and «neither rank, nor long service, nor wounds, nor any other circumstance or condition whatsoever, save the merit of conspicuous bravery» could make one eligible — truly a democratic award. The design, chosen by Queen Victoria, consists of a cross patee ensigned with Royal Crest resting upon a scroll bearing the words «For Valour»
- Victoria was born on the 24th May 1819.
- Her father died eight months after she was born.
- Her first language was German but she also spoke English, French and Hindi.
- QUEEN VICTORIA FACTS
QUEEN VICTORIA FACTS
- Queen Victoria was only 18 when she came to the throne!
- Victoria had forty grandchildren and thirty seven
- great grandchildren.
- She died in the arms of her first grandchild, the German Emperor William II.
- She outlived eleven of her 40 grandchildren.
- She reigned for 63 years, 7 months, and 2 days.
QUEEN VICTORIA FACTS
- One of the enduring authors of the Victorian era is George Eliot (a pseudonym for Mary Ann Evans).
- The Victorian era cultivated the study of science and saw the publication of Charles Darwin's «On the Origin of Species».
- Basic State Education became free for every child under the age of 10 under her rule.
She died on the 22nd January 1901, at the age of 81.
Write one word in each gap.
- Queen Victoria (1)___ Britain's first monarch. Before (2) ___ reign, kings and queens (3) ___ actively directed the government. During the 1830s, just before she became queen, changes in (4) ___ law in Britain affected the power structure and the (5) ___ of Common became more powerful (6) ___ either the House of Lords or the monarchy. From Victoria's (7) ___ onwards, the monarch had the right to (8) ___ consulted, advise and warn, but (9) __ was the prime minister (10) ___ led the government.