1. Which 19th-century American writer is said to be the founder of the detective genre?
2. Name the American science fiction writer born in Russia who wrote ”I, Robot” .
3. Which two novels by Mark Twain are often called “the first modem American novels”?
4. During which periods in American history was the novel “Gone with the Wind” set?
5. Which famous American document begins with the words, “We, the people of the United
States, in order to form a more perfect union...”?
Culture and sports
1. In which famous location do people in New York City celebrate New Year's Day?
2. What are the ingredients of a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner?
3. What do the terms “melting pot” and "salad bowl" mean to U.S. society and culture?
4. Which art museum in New York City is a spiral-shaped building and what is the name of the
architect who built it?
5. who the American composer who wrote”West Side Story”?
6. Who is the famous American dancer, singer and actor who acted in many films together with
his partner Ginger Rogers?
7. Which American rock-and-roll star lived in Memphis, Tennessee?
8. Which American silent-movie star is called the “Little Tramp”?
9. What monument in Washington D. C, dedicated to an American President, nicknamed “The
10. What is the name of the awards given to the best movie actors and actresses each year in the
11. Which sport is considered to be the national pastime of America?
12. Under which two names did the most famous American boxer of the 1960s - 1970s fight in
13. What do Americans call the championship game of American football?
14. In which U.S. city were the 1996 Summer Olympics held?
1. Explain the symbolism of the stars and the stripes on the U. S. flag.
2. In which city did the First Continental Congress meet in 1774?
3. Which U.S. legal holiday - held every four years - falls on the first Tuesday after the first
Monday in November?
4. When did American women receive the right to vote?
5. Who was the first President elected as a member of the Republican Party?
6. Name the longest serving U.S. President.
7. Who was the youngest elected President in the history of the U.S.?
8. What is impeachment? Name one President it threatened.
9. Name the two political parties in the U. S. and the animals that symbolize each party.