3. What do they do with the Guy when it is ready? What do they say to passers-by? What do they
need the money for?
3. What do the people arrange in the back yard?
4. So What is done with Guy Fawkes on the 5
5. What happens at the end of the night?
6. Where is a big public festival held?
Учащиеся отвечают на вопросы.
- Do you remember the history of the holiday? Correct the statements:
1. Guy Fawkes lived in the 19
2. Guy Fawkes was a sailor.
3. He was a protestant by religion while the king was a catholic.
4. He and his friends plotted to blow up Buckingham Palace.
5. Guy Fawkes was a success and praised after that.
Учащимся выдается упражнение и они его выполняют.
- As it has already been mentioned, Guy Fawkes Night appeared in Great Britain and is
celebrated only there. What about Russia. Can you think of a holiday which is celebrated only in
- What holiday is celebrated on the 4
- Is it an old holiday?
- Did anything special happened in our city to mark the occasion?
- And, of course, we can’t but mention about the last holiday we had. What was it? How did you
Учащиеся отвечают на вопросы отдельными предложениями или небольшими
- And finally, to sum everything up, today we finish discussing British holidays. I’d like to learn
how well you remember all of them. Say what holiday these words refer to:
1. painted eggs 16. a thistle in the buttonhole
2. maypole 17. a procession of flower-carriers at Stratford
3. steel bands 18. Big Ben striking midnight
4. Auld Lang Syne 19. the custom of ‘first-footing’
5. Christmas tree 20. Good Friday
6. haggis 21. paper hats
7. cards and gifts 22. firework display
8. a daffodil or a leek on the jacket 23. pumpkin
9. pancakes 24. Trafalgar Square
10. a rose on the jacket 25. turkey with vegetables and gravy
11. top-crossed buns 26. gunpowder
12. military display 27. dancing with bells and handkerchiefs
13. Mystery plays 28. Notting Hill Street
14. West Indian costumes 29. a black pointed hat and a black cloak
15. bonfire 30. hanging stockings
III. Заключительный этап. Подведение итогов, объяснение домашнего задания.
- Be ready to speak about your favourite holiday, either Russian or British.