Let’s read and listen the biography, of O’Henry. (слайд № 11)
What do you remember from his biography? (слайд №12-№16).
IV Работа над текстом. Контроль домашнего чтения.
Today you have read one of the most famous story by O’Henry “The last leaf”. Open your books at p. 254
and look at the blackboard. Match the words in Column A with the phrases in Column B that describes
1) 1. Greenwich village A an opportunity
2. pneumonia B a part of New York, where painters live
3.a chance C alone
4. ice D a bad sickness
5. a master pies E cold (very cold)
6. lonely F a works of art
2) What is the Russia for:
Художник (painter), умирать (to die), больной (sick), болезнь (sickness), незнакомец, чужак
(stranger), бесполезно (useless), падать (fall), считать (count).
3) Now answer my question:
- What is the title of the story?
- Name the characters of the story: ( Johsy, Sue, Behrman and the doctor).
- Who were Johsy and Sue? Were they friends?
- Find sentences that say that they were real friends/
- Now old was Behrman?
- What did he believe? Did he believe about to do anything to help Johnsy and Sue?
- What did he do?( He painted the last leaf on the wall).
4) Now let’s work in groups.
Three groups. The task is “Match the names of the main characters and their actions!” ( в группах)
1 гр. – Johnsy
2 гр. - Sue
3 гр. - Behrman
все – doctor.
Let’s check! Listen carefully and correct!
5) Now let’s work in pairs!
What is missing? Let’s check!
6) Обсуждение и высказывание своего мнения.
Now, I see, that you know the text very good.
What can you tell about this story?
Do you like it or dislike? Look at the screen again and say! (Слайд №18)
V Заключительный этап урока. Выставление оценок.
H/t 1) to illustrate a moment from the text
2) to write an essue about this text (10-12 sent)
or to write another ending.