Reputed to – считающий
Chair – место
1. What place is connected by the ancient legend?
2. Who was Idris?
3. What had happened with a man sleeping for a night in that part of the mountain?
4. What do you think about this legend?
St.David is the patron sain of Wales. He was a monk who lived on bread, water,
herbs and leeks and died on March 1, 583 AD. The leek became the national
emblem for Wales, and medieval soldiers used to wear leeks as they rode to
battle. Nowadays, the leek is worn on March 1 and at international rugby matches
(the daffodil is also a national emblem because its Welsh name is translated as a
type of leek).
A patron saint – святой покровитель
A monk – монах
A herb – трава, растения
A leek – лук-порей
A daffodil – нарцисс
1. Who was St.David?
2. Why did the leeks become the national emblems for Wales?
3. When is the leek worn nowadays?
4. Why is the daffodil also a Welsh national emblem?
5. What do you prefer to wear the leek or the daffodil?
The Welsh national costume seen on dolls and postcards is largely a myth
created for tourism. Certainly the 17-th century women wore long coloured
skirts, a white aprone and a tall black hat, but so did English women at that
time. In the 19-th century, the idea of a national costume was born and this
pleased both tourist and locals, a although there is no evidence at al of a long-
A myth - миф
An aprone - передник
Evidence - доказательство
A long-lost costume – давно потерянный костюм
1. Where can you see the Welsh national costume?
2. What did country women were in the 17-th century?
3. When was the idea of a national costume born?
4. Is there evidence at all of long-lost costume?
5. Do you like the Welsh national costume?
Wales has always been known as a country of music and song. As well as
the mane male voice choirs and famous rugby match singing, some of the
greatest opera singers, like Geraint Evans, and poo singers, like Tom
Jones, are also Welsh.since the 12-th century we have records of an annual
competition, which was held to find the best poets, writes and musicians
in the country. The competitions now include local crafts, orchestral, brass
band contests, and even ambulance work.
Record – запись