Toula Portokalos is the 30 ___year_____ old “spinster” daughter of Greek ____________ parents
who believe that “Nice Greek______________are supposed to do ___________things in life: marry
Greek boys, make Greek babies, and ____________ everyone until the day they die.” Her
______________family has just about given up hope that Toula will ever find a ______________.
Her dad warns her, “You better get married soon. You’re starting to _____________ old.” Toula
____________as a hostess in her father’s Greek ____________, Dancing Zorba’s. She says that
“she’d rather stab herself in the ______________with a red hot poker than work in the restaurant for
the _______________ of her life.” She is restless and ready for a change, but ____________her
family is not. Finally, she enrolls in ___________ against her father’s wishes who feels that “she is
already ___________enough for a girl”. Toula gains newfound self-confidence in college and soon
she _____________ a new job at her aunt’s ____________ agency. There she ______________ Ian
Miller, a tall, handsome high school ____________ and falls madly in love with him. There’s one
____________, however, he is NOT Greek. Toula is not sure which will be more upsetting to her
old-fashioned _____________, that Ian is a Xeno (foreigner) or that he’s a vegetarian. She
__________ Ian that no one in her family has ever gone out with a non-Greek. When her
______________ eventually meet Ian, _______________ treat him like a lesser life form. However,
once Ian _____________ her to marry him, her family realizes that Ian and Toula __________ each
other and they must ______________ their approaching marriage for Toula’s sake. At the wedding,
Toula’s father who specializes in ____________ the Greek root for any ____________ delivers a
toast in which he explains that “Miller” goes __________ to the Greek word for apple, and
“Portokalos” is based on the Greek word for oranges, and so, he ______________ delightedly, “in
the end, we’re all fruits.”
1.The Portokalos family lives in Chicago. Yes.
2. The name of the Portokalos family restaurant is Running Zorba’s Restaurant. No. (Dancing Zorba’s
3. Toula loves working at the family restaurant. No
4. Toula enrolls in college. Yes.
5. Toula has a small family. No.
6. Toula gets a job at her aunt’s employment agency. No. (At her aunt’s travel agency).
7. Toula meets Ian Miller at school. No. (At her aunt’s travel agency).
8. Toula tells her family she is taking a pottery class at night, so she can see Ian. Yes.
9. Ian is an elementary school teacher. No. (Ian is a high school teacher).
10. Toula’s family is happy she is not going to marry a Greek man. No. (They want her to only marry a Greek